Southwestern Adventist University

Undergraduate Bulletin 2015-2016 PDF

Examination/Credit Policies

Final Examinations

In order to complete the semester, each student must take final examinations as scheduled. The final examination schedule is part of the class schedule and is available to students and faculty through the portal. It is the student's responsibility to arrange travel in a manner that will not interfere with the examination schedule. Requests for modification of a student's final examination schedule because of unforeseen emergencies must be arranged through the Academic Standards and Practices Committee. A form may be obtained from the Registrar.

Multiple Exams

Students having three or more final exams on the same day may make arrangements with the instructor and the Vice President for Academic Administration two weeks in advance to reschedule one exam at another time during exam week. Forms may be obtained in the Vice President for Academic Administration's Office or on the internet under Vice President for Academic Administration.

Proficiency Exams (Click for more info)

The University recognizes certain examinations as a demonstration of proficiency for challenging, validating, or waiving classes.  An enrolled student wishing to take an examination must apply.  Application forms for challenge, validation, and waiver examinations are available on the University's website (  Fees for these examinations are listed under Other Expenses in the Finances section of the Bulletin.


Examination Guidelines

  1. A student must have approval for an examination on file with the Registrar before an examination may be recorded on the transcript or degree audit.
  2. Credit for a challenge examination may be earned only if a student has not already earned credit in a similar course, taken advanced courses in the area, or withdrawn from the course.
  3. Examinations may not be retaken.
  4. Examinations may not be used to repeat a course which has been audited or taken for credit.
  5. Grades are recorded for University-prepared challenge examinations and scaled scores are recorded for AP and CLEP examinations.
  6. CLEP examinations, with the exception of foreign languages, must be taken during the first year of residency.
  7. All proficiency examinations must be completed prior to the final two semesters of residence.
Information not shown.

Transfer Credit

Generally, college-level courses will transfer if completed with a C- grade or higher through a regionally accredited college.  Because of differences in degree requirements and course content, all credits may not apply toward specific graduation requirements.   Vocational credits may be accepted for transfer in areas of study  offered by the  University. Developmental courses, including most English as a Second Language courses, will not be accepted for transfer credit. Although permission to register for off campus classes while enrolled at the University is not  required, the  registrar will, upon  request, verify the  transferability of a course offered at another institution. The residency requirement states that the last 38 credit hours earned prior to graduation must include 32 credit hours in residence.  This requirement limits transfer credit to 6 semester hours during this time period.

Courses from a previously earned bachelor’s degree will be evaluated on an individual basis to determine applicability to degree requirements. A student with a bachelor's degree from a United States, regionally accredited, post-secondary institution will be considered to have fulfilled the general education requirements with the exception of religion courses. This is also the case if a student has an associate of science degree which includes the baccalaureate general education core for a particular state higher education program.

Credit may be accepted from certain unaccredited post-secondary institutions.  Students requesting transfer credit from an unaccredited school must have successfully completed a minimum of 12 semester hours with a grade point average of at least 2.00 in residence at Southwestern Adventist University. Validating examinations may be required for such transfer credits at the discretion of the Registrar.


Credit for Military Service Schools

The University follows, with limitations, the recommendations of the American Council of Education as published in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces in granting credit for military service schools. At a minimum, the following limitation applies. 

Courses must be in the baccalaureate/associate degree category as defined by the ACE Guide. This precludes acceptance of vocational, technical or certificate category courses, or military occupational specialties or job experience.

For consideration of credit from military service schools, the applicant may submit the following military records:

  1. A certified original of the DD Form 295, or
  2. A copy of the DD Form 214, or
  3. Course completion certificates.

The Assistant Director of Records will assist persons eligible for veterans educational assistance benefits.

Outcome Assessment

In keeping with the University's commitment to program improvement, and in accordance with the criteria regarding institutional effectiveness established by the University's accrediting agencies, the University has established several measures to assess effectiveness in meeting its stated educational goals. Students will take tests or complete surveys designed to measure achievement in general education and/or selected major areas, academic support services, student and spiritual life, and administrative areas for the purpose of evaluating institutional effectiveness.


Southwestern Adventist University