Southwestern Adventist University

Undergraduate Bulletin 2017-2018 PDF

Financial Aid

To receive federal or state aid, a student must meet certain eligibility requirements.  Some of the basic requirements include U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency; high school diploma, GED, 60+ transferable college credits, or home school certification; and academic standards.

Federal Grant Programs (Click for more info)

Eligibility for the following programs is based upon receipt and evaluation of the Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR), which is the result of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To be guaranteed the maximum award for which the student is eligible, the FAFSA must be completed by Southwestern's priority date of March 1. Students are automatically considered for all grants for which they may be eligible.

Information not shown.

State Grant Programs (Click for more info)

Information about grants available through your state of residence may be viewed at  and clicking "state government".  Eligibility for the following programs is based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Some individuals who are not U.S. Citizens or U.S. Resident Aliens may have established residency in the state of Texas and may be eligible for Texas grants. Contact Student Financial Services for a TASFA application.

Information not shown.

Student Loan Programs (Click for more info)

Information not shown.

State Loan Programs (Click for more info)

Information not shown.

Private Education Loans

Southwestern Adventist University encourages all students to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be considered for all available aid programs. After exhausting the opportunities available from the federal aid programs, many students will consider private loan programs as a source of funding. As always, taking on debt for any reason should be done with considerable thought and only for the amounts needed. Additional information regarding the availability of federal student aid is available from the U.S. Department of Education at

The terms and conditions of credit-based private loan programs vary, and as such, students are encouraged to review the details of the programs before selecting a private loan program. Private loans are not eligible for loan consolidation programs made available for federal student loans. Interest rates, fees (both at the time of borrowing and at repayment), credit checks, and annual and aggregate loan limits require careful evaluation by the student as a consumer.

As part of the application process, students will be required to complete the Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification Form available through their lender's website.  Students may also obtain a Self-Certification Form from the office of Student Financial Services.  Information needed to complete this form, such as cost of attendance, may be obtained from the student's Award Notification.  The Cost of Attendance can be found in the Private Education Loans section on the University website.

Students can find a list of lenders who have made loans to Southwestern Adventist University students in the past at  There is also an option to search for additional lenders.  Southwestern will process loan applications from any legitimate lender.  Students and families DO NOT have to select one of the lenders listed on Southwestern's ELM website.

Applying for Federal/State Aid (Priority Date: March 1)

When students complete their FAFSA by the March 1 preceding the academic year during which they will enroll, they are guaranteed the maximum in grant money for which they have eligibility.

Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) new or renewal application at:  If student does not have access to the internet, he can request a paper application by calling 1-800-433-3243 or print an application from The application is available in English or Spanish.

Southwestern requests the following to award aid:

  • Results of your FAFSA.
  • Some aid applications require additional verification.  Students will be informed of the additional document requirements.

Determining Financial Need

Financial need is calculated by subtracting the student's expected family contribution from the cost of education.

Cost of Education includes estimates for tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, board, transportation, and personal expenses.

Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount a family can be expected to contribute to educational costs. The federal processing center arrives at this figure by evaluating the answers given by parents and students on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Financial Need is the maximum amount of aid a student may receive from all sources when the student accepts any federal or state aid. Aid that is considered a part of the student's aid package includes: Federal loans, grants, and work-study; state loans, grants, and work-study; private scholarships, and educational subsidy. Federal Direct PLUS Loans and Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans can be considered a part of the Expected Family Contribution.

Financial Aid Availability

Federal Pell Grants, Federal Direct Loans and Federal Direct PLUS Loans are available to students who have been determined eligible for these programs through the federal application process. Southwestern  receives limited allocations for the following programs:

  • Tuition Equalization Grant (TEG)
  • Texas College Work Study
  • Texas B-On Time Loan Program
  • Texas College Access Loan (CAL)
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work Study

Some students who qualify for these programs may not receive the award or may receive a minimal award because they have not completed the FAFSA by the priority date. Students are encouraged to submit all required forms early to receive the maximum in available grant money.

An estimated financial aid award is sent to new students upon receipt of the FAFSA.  Official financial aid commitments are made only after the student is accepted for admission to the University and the financial aid file is complete.

Contractual Studies and Financial Aid

Medical Laboratory Science- Students who attend one of our affiliated colleges for their final year of study in the Medical Laboratory Science should contact Student Financial Services to determine which institution will award financial aid.

Study Abroad (Adventist Colleges Abroad) - Enrollment in ACA is approved for credit by Southwestern Adventist University and may be considered as enrollment at Southwestern for purposes of applying for federal student financial assistance.

Study Abroad (Individualized Contract) - A student may solicit a contractual agreement between Southwestern and a foreign university for a year of study abroad. The Contractual Agreement form may be obtained from Student Financial Services. A limited number of applicants will be approved each year. A fee of $100 will be assessed by Southwestern each semester of study abroad through this program.

Financial Aid Academic Progress Standards (Click for more info)

Southwestern Adventist University's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy specifies the standards a student must maintain to be considered making progress in his/her course of study. The policy also establishes the criteria by which a student who has failed to maintain satisfactory progress may reestablish his/her eligibility for federal/state financial assistance.

Information not shown.

Financial Aid Disbursement

Federal Pell Grant/Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant/Texas Tuition Equalization Grant - award is divided over two semesters. The Business Office transfers funds directly to the student's account.

Federal Direct Loan, Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan, Federal PLUS Loan - one-semester loans will be disbursed in two disbursements, one at the beginning of the semester and one midway through the semester.  The first loan disbursement for a freshman, first-time borrower will be made 30 days into the first semester.  The Business Office transfers funds directly to the student's account.

Federal and Texas Work Study - student receives their compensation  through the Business Office at regularly scheduled payroll periods.

Veteran's Benefits

Students with previous military experience may be eligible for certain benefits. Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) records center and obtain a certificate of eligibility before school begins. Bring the certification to the Southwestern Adventist University Records Office. After registration, notification of enrollment will be sent to the VA.


Southwestern Adventist University