International (F-1) Students
All students needing an I-20 must meet the following:
- Be academically accepted
- Submit legible copy of valid passport
- Submit bank statements that give evidence of support to the financial claims on the certificate of finance form
- Submit the international student deposit of $1000 which includes the $100 residence hall room deposit, and a $100 non-refundable processing fee.
- Pre-payment of $6500* for undergraduate students or $5500* for ESL students
- Upon receipt of I-20 student must submit payment to SEVIS for I-901
*If a student is not granted a visa and does not enroll, these funds will be returned minus the processing fee and any transaction fees.
As required by law all international student information is entered in the Student & Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS) when an I-20 is issued including when the student enrolls or does not enroll, falls below a full-load of classes (12 hours), changes their address or withdraws from the university.
Current immigration laws allow an international student with an F-1 Visa to work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the semester and up to 40 hours per week during vacations provided that the student is registered for the subsequent academic semester. While there are many campus jobs available, Southwestern does not guarantee student employment.
Major medical insurance coverage must be purchased through Southwestern at registration. If you a student is already insured through the SDA system, he/she must provide documentation of equivalent insurance coverage. No insurance coverage refunds will be made after the second week of classes.
International students should not leave their homeland until they have the following:
- A letter of acceptance from Southwestern Adventist University
- An I-20 from Southwestern Adventist University
- A valid passport and F-1 Visa for travel to the United States of America